PREPARE & AFTERCARE
What you can & should you do in preparation for a tattoo session:
Get hydrated. Drink at least one (1) to two (2) liters of water a day. When you are hydrated, your skin is hydrated and will be able to maintain a better heal and withstand longer sessions.
Get a good night sleep the night before. Please don’t party too hard. Getting tattooed hung-over is not fun for you or me.
Please EAT BEFORE your session. I can’t tell you how many people I’ve seen pass out just because they were too nervous to eat before. This is a massive workout for your body and IT NEEDS FUEL for a big session. When you are hungry, pain management is much more difficult.
Bring drinks, snacks and lunch. You probably won’t have enough time during our short breaks to leave, get food, come back and eat it, so bring it with you! I have a microwave and a fridge at the studio for your convenience. It is also a good idea to bring small snacks that you can eat one handed without making a mess in case you need a distraction during your session.
If you happen to break a bone or sustain any other major injuries prior to your appointment, please contact me ASAP.
What you SHOULD NOT DO before a tattoo session:
No tanning, fake tanning, chemical peels, sunburns, major cuts or scrapes, in the area to be tattooed within a month prior to your session. I can’t work on freshly damaged skin...it won’t heal properly.
No extreme weight lifting in or near the area to be tattooed at least 2 days prior to your session to prevent unnecessary swelling & soreness.
On The Day
Please do not bring the entire family or crew unless they are also getting tattooed. Trust me, they get bored or they get in my or other artists’ ways. One person is okay but please be aware that they must wait in the designated waiting areas and must be invited to view ongoing tattoos by myself or other artists.
For safety reasons, please do not bring small children or babies.
Dress comfortably and appropriately. Be prepared for it to be cold & warm. Also bring socks or flip flops to prevent walking around the studio barefoot during breaks if you will be taking your shoes off during your session.
You are also invited to bring your own pillow for laying or sitting on during your tattoo.
Bring some form of entertainment for yourself like an IPOD, IPAD, Laptop, portable DVD player, etc. with your own headphones or ear buds.
Please do not schedule something immediately after your tattoo...in case we are running behind or long.
Please do not use any numbing products on the area to be tattooed and please do not come in under the influence of any drugs or alcohol.
While You Are Getting Tattooed
Please be aware of cross contamination. Do not touch your fresh tattoo during your session. Do not let anyone else touch your tattoo either!
Do not touch any of the tattoo equipment or work space.
Talking is fine during you session, but please do not talk with your hands, nod your head, or excessively move other body parts as this can cause the area being tattooed to move as well.
Be mindful and do not touch any other possibly contaminated areas.
You will need:
- Unscented antibacterial soap (Dial Soap)
- Plastic wrap
- Aftercare lotion. I recommend non scented lotion but you can use another brand. It needs to be mild and unscented.
- Sunblock of at least 30spf (after it heals)
How to take care of your new tattoo:
1. Keep your tattoo wrapped for at least 1-2 hours after you leave the shop. I recommend leaving it wrapped overnight.
2. After unwrapping your tattoo (it will be oozy), wash your hands with antibacterial soap and then lather and wash your tattoo well. You should apply enough pressure to remove the layer of ooze on top of the skin. You will know that layer of ooze is removed because your tattoo will not feel slippery. Rinse tattoo thoroughly.
3. Let AIR DRY!!!!! Do not use a cloth towel or wash cloth because it will leave fibers on your tattoo which can cause infection.
4. Let tattoo air dry for 5-10 min. then rewrap with plastic wrap.
5. Remove wrap every 4 hours and wash like described above. Let dry for 5 -10 minutes and rewrap.
6. Repeat this step 5 every four hours for the first 3 days. You can wash your tattoo right before bed and wrap it until morning so you don't have to wash it throughout the night.
7. After 3 days, leave your tattoo unwrapped. It should not be leaking fluid at this point. If dry or itchy, apply a small amount of non scented lotion to tattoo in a thin layer. DO NOT OVERAPPLY!
*Tattoo should peel in 5-10 days. DO NOT PICK AT YOUR TATTOO!!! Let the skin fall off naturally. If you washed the tattoo well and kept it wrapped like stated above, you should not form a scab.
*REMEMBER: Getting a tattoo is an invasive procedure, and a tattoo is a fresh wound! Always wash your hands before touching it during the healing process, and don't let others touch it!
*AVOID direct sunlight on your tattoo for 4-6 weeks. You should always wear sunblock on your tattoo (after it has healed) for the rest of your life. SUN DAMAGES TATTOO PIGMENT AND WILL DEGRADE YOUR ART!